Taking a nap waiting for our flight to Atlanta
Relaxing in a char at Aunt Ingrid's
We made it! We are all adjusting well to the time difference. Hayden did well on the first two flights. The last flight was a different story! Hayden had no time to run around between flights. it was off one and boarding another. Needless to say after 15 hours of flight he had enough! The last flight involved a lot of squirming and fussing and crying. We made it through though, but Hayden did have rug burns on his knees!
18 hours of travel can be tough on little ones. Considering all he went through he fared well.
We have been getting adjusted to the culture as well. Everything is compact. Everyone has been nice and understand our little knowledge of their language. Ordering food is a chore. A lot of the menus are in German. Some of the words are similar to ours so we can pick out what seems familiar.
Using the toilets took some getting used to as well. You have to pay for most of them. A lot of the toilets don't have seats either!
When we arrived Ingrid wanted us to stay awake. It is supposed to be easier on your system if you adapt right away to the time change. We went to the office on base to get our Id's. When we walked in we heard someone say "there is our little buddy!" Hayden's friends he made boarding in Atlanta to Stuttgart were in the office. Hayden is the official greeter. He waves and says hi to everyone all of the time. This couple and Hayden had a long chat in line to board the plane and it was great to run into them. Everywhere we go Hayden says hi and waves. Even here. He is definitely not intimidated by the different culture.
Then it was off to the px to get diapers and look around.
Then it was back to unload and rest. I did take a little nap and actually felt refreshed.
Then we went to REAL. It is the German version of Wal-mart. It was awesome to see all of the different things. They had huge candy and meat aisles. It seems like we are getting ripped off in the meat area at home. They have sooo many different varieties of meat here it is amazing! We got Hayden some tights. Everyone here takes their children out in the cold so they put tights on under their pants. I am glad we got them. It has definitely helped Hayden stay warm on all of our journeys!
After that we opted to eat at the brat stand outside instead of a restaurant. A nice gentlemen in line helped me order and tried to explain the differences of meat to me. The brats here are not like the ones at home. They taste different and are cut in half and served on a hard roll. I thought they were ok but Hayden loved them.
We went back to Ingrid's place and it was off to bed for me. Ingrid and I got up at 1:30 a.m. for a bus tour to Dresden for the Christmas market. Pics of that to follow.
I will post some pics from the first few days. Joey and I leave for Paris tomorrow. We hope Hayden doesn't give Ingrid and Andrew too hard of a time!:)
8 comments:
Hello,
I was so excited to see an update, I've looked daily! :) Glad you all made it and it sounds like you're enjoying it so far. When you said you ate at a brat stand and went to a Christmas market it made me soo jealous. I really love the brats and hard rolls. I hope you have or had (depending on when you get this) a great time in Paris! I miss you guys and I'll keep looking for updates...:) Tell Ingrid hello too.
Kari
Hey! Glad to hear things are going well! I love Hayden's tights! Enjoy Paris... how fun! Hope the trip home is a little more relaxing Hayden!
Okay, now I totally want to get Tate some tights! Those are hilarious! Do you think they sell tights for boys in the USA?! :)
what brand are the tights? maybe i can find them online.
Great to see the pictures. I'm sure Ingrid is happy to have company! How was Paris? Have a great trip home.
Dawn
Jennie,Let me know what size pant Tate wears. I can see if they have a pair for him before we leave.
Gretchen
I posted before and I don't see it??
Anyway, I hope you have a great trip home! I miss you guys and I can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures. Give Hayden a big hug and smooch.:)
Auf Wiedersehen,
Kari
Tate wears size 18 months. That would be awesome if you could check for me! I could send you a check for them ASAP!
Post a Comment