Monday, January 21, 2008

Good News

Hayden had his tests in Iowa City last week. The Dr. determined that his kidneys are still functioning the same as before. There really isn't a "problem"with his kidneys. One is larger and drains slower than the other. They just need to monitor it to make sure it doesn't get worse and possibly harm his kidneys. He said this is the point where he decided to do surgery to fix it or monitor it without the renal scan (which involves an IV, and laying still in a CAT scan machine for 45 minutes while they pump radiation through him to watch his kidney flow) and he decided that we can come back in 6 months and just start monitoring the kidney with only the ultrasound. Yippee no more IV's. Getting an IV has never been a problem in the past, but this last time they had a hard time finding a good vein. It took them 35 minutes, 3 nurses trying, and 4 to hold him down. It was stressful for everyone!!! I am glad the Dr. thinks that his kidney is fine, and we just need to do preventative monitoring until he is old enough to tell us if his kidneys hurt.
Hayden had his first day of PDO today since we have been back. I was curious to see how he would do since it has been a LONG time since I left him there. He actually got right down and started playing. His teachers said he had the best day ever! Whew!!! I didn't want to have to go through all of that stress again.
This week we are back in the full swing of things (weather permitting). We have MOPS tomorrow, meeting some friends to play this week, and Grandma P is coming on Thursday to hang out with Hayden while I go to the Dr. I am sure we will get some shopping in as well.
Oh and hopefully I can get the rest of our pics up soon from our trip.

No comments: