Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Munich

Munich. I never got around to posting the rest of the pics from our trip to Europe. Munich was one of our favorite cities in Germany. We toured Dachau concentration camp outside of Munich. That was indescribable. It is unthinkable that humans can treat other humans in that fashion. It was truly eye opening to see the barracks, cremation chambers, and "work" that they had the prisoners perform. I still get sick chills thinking about it. It is an experience that has forever changed me.


From there we checked into our hotel, and got ready to explore. I must mention that Hayden still was not feeling well, and went through a lot of diapers, but was a trooper and loved sitting in the stroller taking in the sights.
After we get freshened up, Ingrid and Andrew went to the Olympic grounds, and we took the subway downtown to do some exploring. Joey is a huge fan of public transportation and took every chance we got in Europe to travel that way. Luckily there were a lot of options for him.
We wondered around, drank coffee at an outside cafe, and met up with Ingrid and Andrew to have dinner at the place that I most wanted to experience. The Hofbrahaus. It was so busy, and tons of fun. There was live music. Hayden slept in his stroller for the first half despite the packed quarters, loud music, and even louder singing. We shared a booth with some people from Italy. The booth next to us was packed with older Bavarian men that meet there the first Saturday of every year. They were having a great time and were quite taken with Hayden once he woke up. One of the gentlemen came up to me and said' "Bavarian boy or English boy"? I said "American", and he said' "No, no, no, he is Bavarian boy." I am guessing that was a compliment. After dancing to the live music, eating a pretzel 1/2 the size of Hayden, talking to our new Italian and Bavarian friends, and drinking the biggest mug of beer I have ever had, it was time to go back to the hotel.
It was truly one of the highlights of our trip. Talk about a melting pot. Europe is amazing with all of the cultures, and people from different cultures. Fun, fun, fun. I could of stayed for a week talking to different people. Maybe except the man from Texas who told me Joey had to be crazy to think he was the father of Hayden, because he looked nothing like Joey. :)

The next morning we headed out early, grabbed a coffee at a McCafe (a Starbucks meets McDonalds kind of thing, which we are actually getting here now), we walked back to the subway station to head to the Dutches museum downtown. It is one of the largest Science and Industry museums in the world with over 100,000 exhibits. It took us a whole day to wonder through ( we still prefer the Smithsonian).

No comments: