Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Trip to the ER

We had quite an adventurous trip to the ER last night! Hayden had a steady fever of 101.9 since Saturday night. Besides the fever he has been doing very well. Last night at 8 we gave him Tylenol and his fever was 102 then all of the sudden it spiked to 104.3. So off to the ER we went. It was packed! Luckily Hayden got so mad during check in when they were checking his oxygen level he threw up all over me... so we kind of got bumped up in line. What do I say, my child already knows how to work the system! A doctor was there to witness the festivities and promptly ordered tests before they looked at him so we could get started.
He had the whole gamut, Tylenol enema (because he threw up all over the entry way)...... screaming, chest x-ray (because his oxygen leveles were low)..more screaming, blood work (they couldn't find a vein for a few pokes)...even more screaming, they sucked out his nose to test for influenza and RSV....more screaming, put a id bracelet on him......TONS OF SCREAMING
After 5 hours they determined that he has some darkening on his lungs so they are treating him for pneumonia.
He had a mild fever all day, but I think the Zithro is helping a lot. Whew! It was an exhausting trip, but I am glad he wasn't admitted and they got his fever down! Hayden was so wired he didn't even yawn until we got home at 1:00 A.M.

2 comments:

sarak said...

Ah Gretchen! I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that! Poor Hayden! I guess it wasnt an ear infection ha! When Delaney had pneumonia she spiked the high fever too, its so scary when they are that sick! I'm glad the meds are working....talk to you soon!

Missy said...

Aw. So not fun. I've been there too with Becca. That suckin out the nose thing is not cool. I cried along with Becca when they did the xray! Poor thing. But sounds like you handled it like a pro! Hope he's up and better soon.
ps....I'll keep Joey and your family in my prayers for his uncle. We lost a friends mom and a childhood neighbor of Tim's this week to. Makes ya stop and think and be thankful!